Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some deer from last nite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

all c&c welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think they're both over exposed (I'm using an uncalibrated screen atm)

The second one is outta focus the bush in the middle seems to be in focus not sure why??? I think you were trying to get both deer in focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Nice shots. you really should embed images though as many people wont bother clicking on links.

1st one is the best, but not critically sharp around the eyes and face. the entire image looks a little soft so im thinking its the lens rather than your technique. I have this problem with my sigma 70-300.its cheap and cheerful but quite soft above 200mm.

2nd one the deer in focus is further back than other deer that are out of focus. this just doesnt work for me somehow, it throws the picture off, as your eye goes for the nearer animal, but its really out of focus and it takes a sec for your eye to go to the in focus animal.

great exposure and color though and the setting is perfect, very natural. also getting them to look straight at the camera was a good idea also. nice work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the second photo you need more depth of field (DOF) because the face of the deer on the left is slightly out of focus while the deer facing the camera on the right is more in focus. The camera appears to have selected the bush in between them as the focus point which is good as that appears to be between the two deer in terms of distance from the camera but you need to close down the aperture a bit (higher F number) to get a greater DOF.

Your ISO is set to 200 so if you had jacked that up a bit and dropped the aperture to maybe f/11 or f/16, you could have had the fast shutter speed (1/400)s) but you have gotten better DOF.

my first try at deer hands were shaking even with my tripod still not sure about all the settings on my cam only have it 3 weeks hope to get better over time thanks for the c&c

• Advertisement

fguihen wrote: »
    Nice shots. you really should embed images though as many people wont bother clicking on links.

1st one is the best, but not critically sharp around the eyes and face. the entire image looks a little soft so im thinking its the lens rather than your technique. I have this problem with my sigma 70-300.its cheap and cheerful but quite soft above 200mm.

2nd one the deer in focus is further back than other deer that are out of focus. this just doesnt work for me somehow, it throws the picture off, as your eye goes for the nearer animal, but its really out of focus and it takes a sec for your eye to go to the in focus animal.

great exposure and color though and the setting is perfect, very natural. also getting them to look straight at the camera was a good idea also. nice work.
    how do i embed a pic :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Hi,

I'm new to this game too so feel free to ignore my thoughts! In regards to the first pic what I would have done is have the deer just ever so slightly more to the right in the photo. Or just crop out about half of the green area to the right of the deer. So that the body is in the middle and his head kinda follows the "rule of thirds" principle.

In regards to embedding images see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55194002&postcount=23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I think they're both over exposed (I'm using an uncalibrated screen atm)
    +1

When you take your pictures it's a good idea to look at the histogram after you've taken it, ideally the picture will cover the entire range from black to white. In your picture if you look at the histogram (had a quick look in photoshop levels) you'll notice that there are no blacks, this will tend to give your photos a slightly washed out/overexposed look.

If you have editing software it should be quite easy to correct this. In Photoshop just make a levels adjustment and pull the left-most slider to the point where the curve starts.

I think the composition of the first photo is also much better than the second photo. I find the second picture to cluttered and as people noted above one of the deer is out of focus - which is very easy to do with a telephoto lens by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

sikahunter wrote: »
    I hope you dont mind me showing your photo,

3648563468_4c77dd1118.jpg

If you hit the quote button you'll see the correct way to do it, the web address you paste into the box needs to end in .jpg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Nice job Sika , heres one from Italy
    3650889751_ec1851d43c.jpg?v=1245699863

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

sikahunter wrote: »
    how do i embed a pic :confused:

Go to your Flickr account.

Click on the image you want to upload

Click on "All Sizes"

Select the size you want to upload (remember not to go nuts on the the large ones)

Scroll down to the second long box below image. (If you dont want the image to link back to your Flickr Acc)

Right click & copy

Switch to Boards Reply to Thread and paste insert at the start &

at the end of the string.

Submit Reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nice shots. I hope those deer are still alive, sikahunter :D

cool thanks was starting to drive me nuts embedding pics.
    nice pic from italy . lol yes they still alive :D

prob my fave shot from the nite 3654828612_a465314e28.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

It's an excellent pic alright. Just to show you what I meant about the crop: it's so slight, and maybe it's personal preference, but I think this turns it into an even better photo:

deer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

phoenix park?
    id like to have a go myself, i usually look for horses in random fields.

not the park was taking up in ticknock great place for deer up the very top of the small road on the lefthand side these are wild deer not farmed park one,s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Deer at the park have those tags... kinda wrecks the photos.
    243198540_e1833e0814_b.jpg

I haven't seen wild deer in years.

hey steve if you want to see them i suggest heading up to ticknock in lambdoyles in the evenings

• Advertisement
Advertisement